Is your pet always eager to jump in the water when you go swimming? While swimming is a great way for both humans and pets to get some exercise and have some fun, it’s important to be aware of the waterborne illnesses that pets can contract from swimming. By being informed, you can take steps to help protect your pet from these illnesses. Keep reading for more information on waterborne illnesses and how to safeguard your pet against them.
Giardia is a pet parasite that typically is contracted by ingesting water that has been contaminated by the feces of an infected animal. Giardia cysts can survive for months in a cool, moist environment. This parasite also can be passed from pets to people through the ingestion of contaminated water. Giardiasis typically leads to diarrhea that can have a strong odor or mucus, or appear frothy. If left untreated, giardiasis can cause dehydration and malnutrition.
Cryptosporidiosis also is caused by a protozoan parasite that is most commonly contracted through ingestion of water or food that has been contaminated with the feces from an infected animal. Cryptosporidiosis in pets can cause diarrhea, fever, lethargy, and weakness.
Leptospirosis (lepto) is caused by bacteria that thrive in warm, wet soil and water. Typically, pets—and people—contract lepto through contact with contaminated water. The lepto bacterium enters the body through cuts or abrasions, or the mucous membranes. Once in the body, the bacterium attacks the kidneys and potentially other organs. Leptospirosis signs can include excessive thirst and urination, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, depression, and fever.
#4: Cyanobacteria toxicity
Cyanobacteria, also known as blue-green algae, are bacteria found in lakes, streams, and ponds. They can produce toxins that affect people, livestock, and pets who swim in and drink from the contaminated water. Blue-green algae can form “blooms” that give the water a blue-green color, and are at the highest concentrations during hot weather. A few mouthfuls of contaminated water may result in fatal poisoning.
Signs vary based on the type of toxin ingested and focus on liver damage or neurotoxicity. You may see vomiting, diarrhea, bloody stool, weakness, jaundice, muscle tremors, paralysis, seizures, or difficulty breathing. Immediate care is critical for a good outcome, although the outlook is often poor.
While you can’t prevent your pet from picking up waterborne parasites and certain pathogens, you can virtually eliminate their risk of contracting leptospirosis through vaccination. Contact our team to learn more about vaccinating your pet for leptospirosis.